Monday, April 25, 2011

Italian Meatloaf

This is a recipe that I made up as I went along. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight and I decided that, because it was rather chilly outside, I would make meatloaf. It didn't hurt that I had about 2 pounds of high quality ground beef, pork, and veal thawed and in the fridge. Here's what I came up with:

2 lbs. of Ground Beef, Pork, and Veal (I must admit I felt like an ogre buying veal)
1 palm full of dried Oregano
1 palm full of dried basil
2 large eggs
1 tsp pepper
1tsp of salt
1/2 a red onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of cooked until crispy pancetta, finely chopped
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
a little less then 1/2 cup of milk
4 additional uncooked thin slices of pancetta

Mix it with your hands, its easiest that way. Shape into a loaf, and place in a loaf pan that has been greased with butter. Place the 4 uncooked slices of pancetta across the top (this adds flavor and prevent it from drying out). Place in a preheated 425 degree oven and bake for about an hour.
My roomate really liked it and he's a picky eater so give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment